Date A Girl Who Travels

Date a Girl Who Travels by Aleah Taboclaon

Date a girl who travels. Date a girl who would rather save up for out of town trips or day trips than buy new shoes or clothes. She may not look like a fashion plate, but behind that tanned and freckled face from all the days out in the sun, lies a mind that can take you places and an open heart that will take you for what you are, not for what you can be.

Minnewater Park, Brugges, Belgium

Date a girl who travels. You’ll recognize her by the backpack she always carries. She won’t be carrying a dainty handbag; where will she put her travel journal, her pens, and the LED flashlight that’s always attached to her bag’s zipper? In a small purse, how can she bring the small coil of travel string, the wet tissues, the box of cracker, and the bottle of water she’s always ready with, just in case something happens and she can’t go home yet?

Yes, a girl who travels knows that anytime, anything can happen and she just has to be prepared with it. Nothing takes her by surprise; she takes everything with equanimity, knowing that such things are always a part of life. She’s reliable and dependable, traits that she’s learned while on the road.

praying

You’ll also recognize a girl who travels by the fact that she’s always amazed at the world around her, no matter if she’s in her home town or in a place that’s totally new. She sees beauty all around her, not just the ones featured in travel guides or shown in postcards. A girl who travels has developed a deeper appreciation for life. She won’t judge you, or pressure you to do things you don’t want to do. She knows too much about the importance of identity and self-efficacy, and she will appreciate all the more if you won’t pretend to be who you’re not.

boat woman in the mekong river

Date a girl who travels, because when you’re with her, you’ll realize that even though she’s napped at a temple in Angkor Wat, went boating down the Mekong Delta, ran by the streets of Saigon, or went skinny-dipping in the caves in the Philippines, she still retains that humility that is the mark of a real traveler. She knows she’s been to a lot of places, but she’s humbled by the fact that the world is still a big place and she’s only seen a small part of it. Seeing this in her can make you feel all right with yourself too; there’s no need for you to do more, to be more. What you are is enough.

When you meet a girl who travels, ask her where she’s been and what she’s going to do next. She will appreciate your interest, and if you’re lucky, she may even invite you to join her. When she does, do. Nothing bonds people better than traveling. On your trips, you will both see each other’s best and worst characteristics, and you can then decide whether she’s worth fighting for.

It’s easy enough to date a girl who travels. She won’t want expensive gifts; you can buy her (or both of you) cheap tickets to Thailand for the weekend, and she’ll be more than happy to take you to the longest wooden bridge in the country. You don’t even have to go overseas; you can take her out on day trips, caving or hiking, or treat her to a full body massage.

You can also buy her the little things that she keeps forgetting to buy for herself; that carabiner that will attach her backpack to her seat so that she will feel easier about sleeping on her bus trip, or a backpack cover, a small alarm clock, a  money belt, or maybe another sarong that will replace the one she lost in China.

angkor wat reflection

Is a girl who travels worth it? Yes, she is. So when you find her, keep her. Don’t lose her with your insecurities and doubts. Because when she says she loves you, she really does. After all, she’s seen so many things, met so many people, and if she had chosen you, better grab that opportunity and thank the gods that you were lucky enough she’s chosen you and not that bloke she met while watching the sun rise in Angkor Wat, or while whitewater rafting in the Padas Gorge in Sabah.

Date a girl who travels. Make her feel safe, warm, and secure. Make her believe that no matter where she goes, and however long she’s gone, you’ll always be there for her, the one that she can call home.

Inspired by Date a Girl Who Reads by Rosemarie Urquico

Liked this? Click Share! Don’t forget to like my Facebook page too!

Comments

1. says

@ Janet: Thanks Janet. I’m glad to have been the first to write this hehe
    @ Cai: Thanks, thanks. I missed out on a few hours of going around Copenhagen to write this piece, but I’m glad about how it turned out.
    Aleah recently posted..Date A Girl Who Travels

2. says

Eloquent post and oh so true, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Loved it! Having just been broken up with Due to My Traveling for my work as a storyteller, I can totally Relate. thank you so much for writing a beautiful post about the REAL REASONS girls who travel are such good catches. <3

3. says

@ Liza: Yup, yup. But remember, there are also girls who are flashpackers hehe
    @ Red: Umm..now, I’m pressured! :D
    @ Lois: I enjoyed writing it a lot!
    @ KJ: Thanks for the correction. You’re right; I just took a nap. Changed it already!
    Aleah recently posted..Date A Girl Who Travels

4. says

@ MOX: Thanks for being so helpful and positive. I suggest scrolling up and reading my post again, and notice my last line: “Inspired by Date a Girl Who Reads by Rosemarie Urquico” which I attributed both to the site and to the writer’s Faceboook page. Thanks for reading!
    Aleah recently posted..Date A Girl Who Travels

5. Andrea Aquino says

hi :) i so love this article :) i really can relate to it (every words in it) because i myself love to travel a lot and i even influenced my boyfriend :) and we’re both regular travelers in and out of the country :) traveling gives us both fulfillment and happiness :)

6. says

@ H: Thank you. I didn’t expect it to come out that way but I’m glad it did.
    @ Mica: Ako rin naghahanap ng Mr Right hehe
    @ Jazz: Thanks :D
    @ Andrea: Good for you that you have influenced your boyfriend. Traveling really does bring a couple together.
    Aleah recently posted..Date A Girl Who Travels

7. Koyang says

@Aleah, nasakal na ako eh.. este nakasal na.. HAHA..
    soloflight lang ako sa galaan, walang gwardiya sibil.. HAHAHA..

8. Eunice says

Spot on! Thanks for this :) My guy could never understand why I’m obsessed with traveling. Maybe I should let him read this piece along with Date a Girl who Reads, that is my other vice :)

9. Jamie says

Indeed. A girl who travels loves knowledge, culture, and people. She is engaging and explorative – you will never get bored. However, the stereotype between a traveling backpacker, freckled and tanned vs the fashion plate is untrue – one may be able to walk under the southeastern sun while wearing a pretty pair of shoes and hat! Nothing needs to be compensated. It’s the whole world to love!

10. Anonymous says

What a load of nonsense. ‘…she will appreciate all the more if you won’t pretend to be who you’re not…’ is the most fatuous thing I’ve heard. I was with a girl who traveled a lot for almost eight years and when I had realized that I had ‘deconverted’ and had become an atheist, it took her less than 24 hours to abandon me. Obviously, being intellectually honest is not a universal trait among all those who love traveling, hence this repudiation of this odious, ungrounded and childish notion that a girl who travels equate to a girl with a broad mind and a formidable intellect.

11. says

This may just be the best read I had this month. I don’t know why but my heart melted with your every word. If it’s okay, may I link this write-up in my blog? I’m just filled with this smile right now that I can’t wipe out of my face. You’re so spot on.:)

Mariel
    Mariel Cruz recently posted..Luna

12. says

I love this part, which reads like it describes me:

dScribesDotCOm recently posted..Enigmatic Charm of a Charismatic Leader: Fidel Valdez Ramos in Bangkok

13. Prab says

Hi,

First time here, and saw two of my friends link to your post. Just a couple of comments.

1. Perfectly written piece. It put a smile on my face.
    2. Wouldn’t it be better if you get married to a girl who travels too? I know I did. ;)

Looking forward to reading more of your entries. :)

14. says

Hi there!

I’ve read your piece and gawd, it really inspired me to move and learn more! If you don’t mind, I would like to repost this on my blog and write my thoughts about it. All credits will be mentioned.

Hope you’ll continue writing inspirational blogs cause this one really fueled my passion for traveling.

All the best,
    Kim Buenafe

15. Ben Murrell says

This blog is beautiful and insightful. If you ever want to talk, I would gladly date you. You’re so sexy and wonderful. Be mine forever.

16. bethenny f says

I don’t know what the intent of this post is, but this is how it’s coming off to some people (like me)

1. This ‘date a girl who…’ idea seems to spread notions that your hobby somehow makes you better than someone who isn’t doing it. So correct me if I’m wrong.

2. You seek male validation. You’re encouraging men to date you because of #1. It’s as if you’re a contestant from The Bachelor. It reeks of desperation. You can be an awesome, date-able person without having to let out this desperate cry for male attention.

I’m sure you don’t see things that way but I still wanted to let you know that this kind of literature pushes women right back to the last century. If you appreciate yourself the way you say you do in this post, you probably don’t need to encourage a guy to date you.

17. says

I love your blog and I can totally relate.

“You’ll also recognize a girl who travels by the fact that she’s always amazed at the world around her, no matter if she’s in her home town or in a place that’s totally new. She sees beauty all around her, not just the ones featured in travel guides or shown in postcards. A girl who travels has developed a deeper appreciation for life.”

As a photographer, travelling is also the best way to appreciate and capture the beauty all around us. :)

18. says

=) I like your post. It is very well written and the pictures are so real. Above all I also like those lines : She won’t mind if you get lost on your way to a date. She knows that oftentimes, the journey is more important than the destination. She will help you see the lighter side of things. She’ll walk along with you, not behind you, pointing out the interesting bits of things you’ll see on the way. Before long, you’ll realize that yes, the journey has been more memorable than the destination that you’ve planned to take her to.

19. says

I’m a traveler myself and recently started solo travels. Love this post… i can really relate to it. This also reminds me, I should start my own travel blog soon… friends has been bugging me to start one for the longest time. I’m sharing this on my facebook page and will definitely feature this when i start my own blog… or better yet, make my own with credits to you and other blogs. =)
    Teddie recently posted..Don’t give up anything for Lent…

20. says

love your post! really interesting, as I, myself loves to travel a lot either by train, bus, ship, or plane… the more places i see and discover, the more i am amazed on what life has to offer… and with that, it is an enough reason to praise, honor, and thank the Creator of the universe for what He has brought! :)

21. Sheryne says

This is too sweet. Made me tear a little! Glad I saw this post on my FB. I love travelling too.

Philippines is one of the last few Asian countries I haven’t been to. You could host me sometime. *winks*

22. Yonita Malliah says

A very nicely written article! Kudos!(“,)

Since I love travelling AND reading, i found this quote very appropriate:

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

23. Fanoftagore says

Famous last words:
    “Find a girl who travels. Date her, love her, and marry her, and your world will never be the same again.” To which I will add:

“And if you’re lucky, you will raise kids who love to travel. A 5-yr old who has more country stamps in her passport than her number of years. She’s walked the ruins of Angkor, stood before the great statue of Christ in Rio, struck up a friendship with a shopkeeper in Florence, and played on the ramparts of a fort in Barcelona. She takes in stride long layovers at Delhi airport, and knows that a Mother’s Day dinner in Bangkok is nothing out of the way. (So what if she has to be bribed sometimes with gelato and frozen desserts as incentives for all that walking:) – it’s all good:))

24. Hugh says

I read the article and reminded me when I dated a girl who travels and she was the best girl i ever dated. I hope that we could get back together one day because she’s the girl i would want to marry.

25. ritchie mae gamot says

This piece is wonderful. Isa syang written piece na hindi nakakasawang basahin ng paulit ulit :P and i dont even read blogs!

26. says

I just fell in love with this post. True enough, there is more to traveling than what other people think. It’s more than the shopping, taking photos and dining out — it is all about the journey — walking from one town to another, getting lost and finding your way back home. Oh gosh, no wonder why I love traveling! Your post made me want to pack my bag and travel at this very second. :)

jessnothinless.blogspot.com

27. vklou says

This is a really cool piece.. I’m not after the dating part, but being a girl who travels a lot, this hits a home run…

28. says

Date a girl who travels and she will take you to the place where you have never been. This article is truly an inspiration not only to men but also to women out there.

-lynne

29. Irina says

Thanks for article!
    You probably described and expressed the feelings of all travel gals around the world!!! It’s like written about me… Very nice! I appreciate your effort a lot and share this with my friends.

30. says

Just my two cents. I don’t think the guys would want to marry a girl who travel a lot a.k.a. Lakwatsera. Why? Because we live in a country where the man believes that the woman must take care of the home and the children. Whether we admit it or not sexism is deep-seated in our culture. Ask a man with family if he approves of his wife to travel a lot. Maybe he would allow it once in a while but on one condition- The whole family would travel together. But then everything changes, even culture and traditions change. I hope that what was stated on your post is the norm now. Maybe. It depends. Oh well, this is just my personal opinion.

31. Ann Margaret says

Nice blog Aleah! Really liked this post. i’ll look forward to more of your interesting aticles.: D keep on travelling girl! Cheers to good life…

32. Ann Margaret says

Aleah! I really liked this article! Congratulations, you’ve inspired a lot of women and opened the eyes of men. I’ll look forward to more of your interesting adventures and the likes. Keep on travelling girl. And CHEERS to good life!

33. dex81 says

Hi Aleah, wonderful prose in this light-hearted essay. Kudos to You. :)

What do you have to say on this scenario then?
    “A Guy who wishes to date a travelling-girl but isn’t enthusiastic about travelling/exploring the globe, aka a Mr. Homely.”

What happens now?

Cheerio,
    Singaporean Visitor.

34. Gargoyle Gas says

I am so sick of these inane, regurgitated versions of the ‘Date A Girl Who…’ trope. It’s been done TO DEATH. I can just imagine the writer patting herself on the back for what she thinks is such a clever take on ‘You Should Date An Illiterate Girl’, when this essentially spits on Charles Warnke’s essay. Can’t you come up with something more original?

35. says

Came here through the link a friend shared.Loved the write up How very true – specially the part about true bonding happening over travels !
    From One Solitary traveller to another – well said indeeed !

36. says

Hi Aleah,
    I feel so lucky to have found your writing and your site this morning. I think it would inspire the most apprehensive woman to take a leap of faith and start seeing the world and what it’s got to offer her.
    Also, what she can offer it.
    Jacqui recently posted..Be patient. Go.

37. Angela says

Now i see travelling in a much deeper perspective. I’m wearing my backpack proud! Thanks for the wonderful writing :)

38. Mr. A says

I found her and she chose me! I posted this on her facebook wall because it totally described her. Your article will surely make her smile.

39. says

Even though this post is not your original idea, i would say its well written and its really describe me as one of those girl who love traveling. Those guys who date female traveler are really lucky people.. aren’t they??
    Fika recently posted..Home is Where Your Heart is

40. katrina says

hi Aleah,

I really like your blog. will it be ok if i blog something like it? but pertaining to my friends. I want to write them a small dedication in this tone for Im leaving the country for some traveling hiatus. I want to leave them something before I actually do. :)

41. Nenita says

I just love what you have written about a girl who travels. It’s one of my dreams to travel to lots of places here in the Philippines and abroad.And one of these days, I’ll just do it.

42. troy says

this happened to me:( and i miss her so much!i can relate to everything she says here…this post touched me …this post is just beautiful and true… for those people who think this aint true… well im living proof .. this happens… for those who are interested about my story just email me id be glad to tell you coz im having a hard time carrying this baggage hahaha — heyortyort@yahoo.com

IRON

43. Simitha says

This one really hit home with me! THANK YOU for making my day!

and.. “She’s napped at a temple in Angkor Wat, went boating down the Mekong Delta, ran by the streets of Saigon…” I did all that! :D

44. says

This is such an inspiring piece! The writing is amazing and I hope you got some sort of award in that contest :) Favorite part: “Find a girl who travels. Date her, love her, and marry her, and your world will never be the same again.” Perhaps my Husband can relate to his world changing ;) Continue with your awesome writing!
    Tiffany recently posted..Disney- Making Dreams Come True All Across The Globe

45. DJ says

Sorry, this really comes off as narcissistic rationalization. Very off-putting. Wouldn’t want anything to do with this person, but wouldn’t have to try to avoid her because she would always be traveling.

46. says

It’s my first time to visit your website and read this post. It’s so nice and I like it, of course totally agree with your points. :D

47. Melissa says

Brilliant article – loved it! I traveled the world for ten years while living overseas. Living in the US now is definitely different. I miss the travel and the similar-minded people. And you’re right about the characteristics you listed, I completely agree. It is tough for people to accept that we really don’t fuss the way many others do. They start to think we’re a bit crazy! LOL.

Happy travels!

48. Ara says

H
    I agree with most of what you have to say except the part of about how one can ‘lie’ to a girl(or anyone) who’s a traveler and assume it’ll be okay. That’s sending the wrong message to people and setting an improper precedent I believe. Just because a girl is a traveler doesn’t mean a guy can expect to lie to her and assume she’ll be fine with it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I enjoyed reading your article.
    Keep traveling.

cheers.

49. Rose Aviso says

Your blog certainly hits a chord within.. I’m also a solitary traveler and what could I say? You were able to capture what we truly feel when we explore countries or even the islands here in Pinas.. its not just about having good pics to brag in facebook but its more for soul nourishment and be humbled to know how big the world is and how lucky you are to see some portions of it :)

Kudos to your blog and keep travelling!

50. y.s. says

Most of it I completely agree, but a girl who travels should definitely know the difference between travelling and jet setting for one weekend to Thailand, which has nothing to do with travelling.

51. says

Very Nice. I like women that are open-minded and honest like this.
    Expressing true feeling and men are not very good mind readers.. ;)

52. del says

love it!! beautiful and very true on so many aspects… but one: “you can lie to her”? no way!! hope the guys of the world read this article and just ignore this part of the sentence!! :-)

53. Pia Dorer says

Yes date a girl who travels – and marry her – my hubby did…..after 14 wonderful year of letting me come and go, of meeting me for random adventures across the world and letting me take my own personal journeys in this crazy world he was still there waiting for me. He is the most incredible man in the world and gorgeous! We have a beautiful 18 month daughter born while were living in Santa Barbara, California and she has two passports and travels the world with us. My guy waited years of being on again and off again – but always my best friend – for me to finally come “home” to him. We met on traveling the great road of life and for us home is not Australia – it is not a destination – “home” is being with one another no matter where we are. The more adventurous the journey, the better. Our home is within each other, within our growing family and our playground is the world.

54. Pia Dorer says

Great article by the way. Taps into the mind of a true traveler. Enjoy your onward journeys! As St Augustine said “the world is a book and those that do not travel read only a page” – one of my favorite quotes!

55. BMP says

When I read this article what amazed me was the list of attributes that are “must” for any kind of partnership (boss and subordinate, business partners, life partners, etc). Some of them are

 Someone who has the habit of “savings” for out of town trips or day trips
     One who has the “Mind” that takes those around them to places
     One with “Open heart” that accepts others around for what they are and not for what they can be
     One who is well-prepared
     One who is Reliable and dependable, the traits one learns from the life journey
     One who has developed the habit of taking everything with equanimity, not taking anything by surprise
     One who either has the in-born / developed attitude of appreciating things around her life
     Habit or attitude of appreciating the importance of identity and self-efficacy
     Someone who does not like the others to pretend
     Someone who knows firsthand the vagaries of human nature
     Someone who retains the humility
     Someone who knows that the journey is important and not the destination

These pointers are well established in this article; how that traveling girl “grabs” these skills by going through the “experiences”. I won’t be using this article to discriminate girls (for dating or for anything).

Girls or for that matter humans have different “opportunities” to develop these. In olden days it used to be through joint families, community meetings, or even through dramas, therukoothu enacted during night times at the villages and now through various vibrant environments around us.

Question is how effective are we observing and developing these?

56. BlackJacketWasp says

Beautiful and romantic piece of article.

But it should remain as an article and exist in a dream only.

It is at best selfish and unrealistic.
    There are exceptions though but from my viewpoint, it’s not gonna happen.

“Date a girl who travels. Make her feel safe, warm and secure. Make her believe that no matter where she goes, and however long she’s gone, you’ll always be there for, the one that she can call home.”

So what happens to the guy when he needs her?

;) When guys go to serve the military, some girls cheat on their husbands/boyfriends because they are away. They justify by saying that they have “needs” and they needed “somebody to be there”. And other BS justifications they are able to come up with.

Forgive my language, but this is fucked up one-sided view of a relationship.

Same thing with modernistic view of gender equality. Ladies, you want equality? Don’t go around telling guys “Ladies first”, “Guys should always pay” and “Guys should be a gentleman”, this and that. That’s not equality. Guys are human beings with emotional needs – so what up?

I’m sorry, somebody just got to stand out and point this inequality bs out.

But nice story, and thanks for sharing.

57. Wilfred says

hey Aleah!

Came across your blog post via Pinterest and I gotta say I absolutely dig this post. :)
    Keep the good stuff coming!

Cheers,
    Wil

58. says

This has gone viral… I read it and i wish I WROTE IT. INGGIT MODE AKO aleah. One of the best wrtiiten piece i’ve read in years… I am so proud i came acroos to know the writer of this piece. Galing galing.

59. Rod says

ganda ng article! :) she travels a lot, especially climbing known mountains here in our country. she gone to some parts in asia as well. she just love traveling seriously! we’ve been friends for years now and I just so love her character and everything about her. After I read the article she’s the first person that pops in my head. I may not be a traveler like her but being with her is like looking a simplistic beauty that Earth can offer.

60. says

this is such a nice piece of writing! you see.. i’ve been to solo traveling when i was younger then way back in phils and even now that i have my own family, i still squeeze in to our schedules some go-out-of-town trips as our bonding time. My hubby and I loves wonderful trips and adventure.i’ll wait for more of your posts as you inspire me to keep traveling and get in touch with the lovely places around the world.
    Riah recently posted..Muscat Festival 2012 @ Qurum Park

61. says

WONDERFUL! I produce a travel show and was recently told by a date that the only thing he’s concerned about when it comes to the possibility of dating is that I travel so much…his loss.

Again, thank you!

62. says

Wow a popular post and with good reason. All these things are so true but you also have to admit that is also hard to keep a girl that travels a girl that travels is never content to settle in one place. You have to move with her or be ok that you won’t always be with her.

Amazing post!
    George recently posted..Top 5 Tips for Dublin on a Budget

63. says

Cudos for writing such a great article! I am setting off this week for a 10-day trip to England. You could have written this article about me. I have been saving for a few months just so I could travel again. My friends ask how can I afford to travel; how can I afford NOT to? There’s too much to see and do, and to many new friends to make.

64. Crystle Kozoroski says

This was a real genius piece of writing. I have always felt and thought this way. I am so happy to finally find others that feel the same. You go girl!!

65. JonathanR. says

Hmm… date a girl who travels?

You mean, a girl with wanderlust? Who can’t sit still? Can’t settle?

Date a girl who has seen everything? For whom a painting on a street side art gallery reminds her of “this painting in the Royal Art Gallery”? For whom everything new is “wait, I’ve seen this before, meh”?

Dating a girl who travels is an acquired taste. Not quite the paradise described here. Caveat emptor.

66. Craig says

Date a girl who travels so about the time you are getting tired of her she’ll be leaving anyway. Date other girls who travel so while two or three are away you still have someone in your bed.

67. Hal says

Part of the problem, Prab, is traveling girls sometimes travel in order to run away from commitments such as marriage and children and homes and jobs. They say they want these relationships, and perhaps truly do want them, but when it comes right down to making the commitment they suddenly “have” to be someplace else. This happened to me with two separate traveling girls. Even though I have the means and the willingness for them to continue traveling and for me to be a part-time single dad, they each had such strong fear of commitment, changes in body image, changes in self-image, etc, etc, etc, they would flee when we got too close. It was heart wrenching for all involved. In the end, I married someone with a stable zip code, have two beautiful kids and am not having my heart torn out at someone else’s whims. I am still in contact with each of them. We are still friends but one of them tears up when she holds my 6-month-old in her arms. She has told me she “missed the boat” and she is too old to have kids now. Time is certainly on the side of men in this case. For me to start a family at 45 was not a problem but I allowed these two women to string me along for too long. Or just long enough to find the stable woman with whom I now share a life on a daily and continuing basis.

68. pbdb says

Love your writing style. So heartfelt and simply elegant.
    What do you think the thoughts should be for a mom who travels with her kids? Totally different story but I hope you can write about it that is, if you are already one so your writing can inspire us, moms who can sometimes feel exasperation and profound pleasure at the same time.

Thanks in advance and more success!!!!
    :)))

69. Insecure traveller's bf says

I’ve started dating a travelling girl, she is older, experienced and despite telling me she feels strongly for me, rarely expresses the sort of affection, excitement or enthusiasm toward me that I’ve become used to from previous relationships.

I’ve become extremely insecure, so much so that in the last 10 minutes, I’ve been convulsing, crying and trying madly to reason with what exactly my problem is. My girlfriend brings out my deepest insecurities, so much so that I hung up on her the other night, despite the fact that she’s abroad and we’ve not had huge amounts of contact. I didn’t even know what she had done at the time to cause my heart rate increasing and such a horrid, building frustration within.

I feel niave, inept and worthless, her equanimity towards what I say and do does nothing to help this, it only exacerbates the problem. Making me feel less important and wonder whether there’s anything about me she could possibly find attractive or interesting at all! I feel pathetic even having had to look up about 10 words from this passage to fully understand it (Did I use ‘equanimity’ correctly?).

Realising I’m a bag of insecurities (as from two months ago) I’m not crying out for answers, but anyone wanting to share opinions and ideas could well help me rationalise or see things from a more idiosyncratic viewpoint, so please comment! (See, I still don’t really get the vocab!)

70. says

Oh what a fantastic post. This makes me feel light and so confident. Like there is someone out there making a case for me, even though i am weird. Thank you so much for these eloquent words.

71. says

It’s an awesome piece, I would like to ask you for permision to translate it into spanish and publish it of course with the credit =D Please I hope I can do it.

72. Rub says

This really is a beautiful post. But men who commented on this also have the right to feel it’s unfair, especially if the woman is still traveling even if she has a family or already strongly-committed. As for me, I’ll travel the world when I am still young, and when the time comes that I meet the right person for me, whether while on the road or the opposite, I’d whole-heartedly give my life to start a family. That doesn’t mean I’ve given up my own traveling, but hey, I’ll do everything for me to get to see the world before that time comes. Besides, there’s no greater feeling than feeling genuine love and security from someone else and be able to share what’s within you also. So see the world first, before you settle down. That’s how I like to live my life. :) Cheers to all travelers!

73. Tessa says

Hi Ms.Aleah^_^ It’s my first time to visit this blog site and I really enjoyed reading this post. Makes me want to travel more and more. Traveling is definitely an awesome activity. You get to discover a lot about many, different places, get to meet new people, learn about various traditions and cultures among many others. More power Ms.Aleah. You inspire us. Looking forward to reading more of your posts. :D

74. Chekm8 says

OMG! Where have you (girl who travels) been all my life? Wait, I’m STILL waiting to find you! :(

Awesome read! Describes perfectly who I’m looking for and why.

75. says

Thank you so much for writing this article! Much of this resonates with me–including things about personality and what sort of “gifts” I like (if i even really like them).

Great read, and well written. I love it. I used to date someone who didn’t want to commit to me because I was always traveling–but they would never come with me. Now I’ve found someone who embrases the travel bug in myself, and once in awhile, they come with me too.

76. says

Not only do I LOVE this post, it made me LOVE MYSELF a little more this afternoon as I watch the kids play at my feet and remember that this rooted phase of life is just a phase because I AM A GIRL WHO TRAVELS :)

77. Sally says

Thanks for your piece on dating a girl who travels. It really made me smile, and it was shared with me by a fellow traveling close friend. It meant something really special, and I hope you know what you’re writing is meaningful to others :)

78. Melissa says

I just read your post ‘Date a Girl Who Travels.’ I was floored. I’ve lived a wandering life and you were able to put into words so many things that my heart has felt. Thank you for your humility, simplicity, and general take on the world.

79. Isabelle says

Found your blog by the article -date a girl who travels-. Its true thats nothing bonds better 2 persons than travel. It might also separate them. I begun travelin in November in New Zealand with my boyfriend but 3 months later we broke up in Australia. We loved each other and are each others best friends, its weird, but he is super short tempered, and said too much hurtful things when be got trapped in the floods in Brisbane, and well, im in Bali now. Especially Kuta, its the best place to change your mind as a singke girl..

Oh well i was just passing by in case you would like yo add my blog to your links (i will add yours in exchange). Just ine thing, its in french (most of my readers are from Montrea, Quebec, and are bilingual).

80. Eric Dion says

I think I’m starting to fall for one of these girls. Hope you’re not steering me in the wrong direction :p

Eric

81. says

This was an amazing article! Have tried to find a guy who would appreciate me being a girl who travels and I finally found one while I was traveling, and he travels too.

Thanks so much for writing this, it made me feel even better about being a girl who travels!
    Kathy Schmidt recently posted..A Sunrise Worth Waking For!!

82. Flash says

Very nice writing, it is only a one sided opinion because you cannot cover all opinions, i absolutely love travelling, and right now have every reason too because i am not tied down with any commitments other than university, so when i get breaks rather than sitting around for weeks at home, i pack up and go have an adventure, and when i return home i appreciate everything all the more, i’m sure the day that i meet someone special i will be more inclined to include that person in my future travel plans and creating a stable life for us. Thank you for writing this, sometimes it is difficult for people to understand when they already have a stable life and commitments and haven’t experienced the insanity and wonders of travelling alone.

83. Pam says

I love this piece. I always has the love of travel and I’m super glad that I met, dated, married my husband who accepted, supported, and now shared the love of travel with me. And yes, you are right, his life has never been the same :)

84. says

I want to meet and date a girl who travels. I won’t stop traveling til we met. This blog made me realize what kind of a girl I should have, the girl that will love what I love.

85. says

hi Aleah,

I never thought I’ll be writing this to you, 2 months ago i came across your date a girl entry and was inspired to write a version myself focusing on close friends and people i know whom are travelers by heart. but a lot of things happened, i found myself flying to vietnam and did a 5 weeks solo backpacking from south to north of vietnam and a side trip in cambodia. i experienced so much from my travel and decided to really work on my travel blog seriously. I hope i can exchange links with you if you find my start up blog worthy. hope you can check out my blog. http://www.meandmychucks.wordpress.com

thanks so much, will put up an entry inspired by your date a girl… soon…

thanks so much,

Katrina

86. says

This is why I think I’m more likely to find ‘the one’ while travelling myself. So many people I meet at home don’t understand why some of us have such a drive to travel or appreciate those qualities you’ve listed. If you meet a partner while travelling, not only do you have some fantastic first date opportunities, but you’re likely to be very compatible. Perhaps we should set up a travellers dating site! :)

87. Lai says

Depends on the traveler, because I know a lot of girls who travels a lot but never learned what the world is all about, what life has to offer when you conquer a certain place, what is the importance of their own heritage and culture compare to others….Never had a conviction of their own experience because all I heard is bragging, and most of all, never learned social awareness. In conclusion, traveler or not, it’s all about the attitude, emotionally, socially and psychologically. It’s all about, what she can offer as a person and as a woman!

Don’t get me wrong people, I love to travel and I’m a traveler…this is just saying to those that I know of…

88. says

Hi Aleah,

What a great post! I really love it and nakakarelate talaga ako specially on this part “She won’t mind if you get lost on your way to a date. She knows that oftentimes, the journey is more important than the destination”.

I do love to travel and everytime na iniinvite ako ng bf ko for a date mas pinipili ko yung mga destinations na never pa naming napuntahan and mas gusto ko yung nagcocommute lang kami. Malimit kaming maligaw and minsan di maiwasang mapahiya pero ok lang yun dahil nag-enjoy kami and another memorable experience yun for us.

More power to you! =)

89. says

really nice!

this also applies to men. when i caught the travel bug 6 years ago, i was still dating my college bf who didn’t care about travel. it didn’t really work out.

a year and a half ago, i met this wonderful wonderful man who loves seeing the world and uncovering each cities’ history. not only did i date him. i even married him. and i will keep marrying him in different cities in different countries.
    msmemorygap recently posted..Couldn’t Resist a Discounted Flight Back to the States

90. Duncan says

Love this article…. However, I can’t seem to find these kind of girls…. even though I do travel a lot and go on adventures…

91. Misty Porras says

I just love it!!! So sweet and heartwarming for the girls who loves to explore the world and travel. Hats off! :D

92. Yesofcourse says

Date a traveller girl and you will be dating a girl with a boy in every country. A girl that soon or later is going to cheat you…100% Sure.

93. Fred says

I dated a girl who travels.
    I loved her very much for her intense curiosity, for the amazing moments we shared in 40 different countries, for our discoveries, the people we met and our conversations.

I won’t date a girl who tavels again.
    Traveling should help finding your own path in life, keep your eyes and mind open. Be warry of girls who travel, try to understand if they travel as a getaway from their normal life, if they use travelling to enhance it or if they only find purpose and happiness in this constant future excitement for the unknown and the different.

Date a girl who doesn’t travel … and travel with her
    You’ll share these amazing moments, but you’ll be more likely to be happy back home, rather than just feeling to live on a bridge to the next continent.

94. John Ramon Reyes says

i don’t know if im in love with the travel girl or the writer of this blog. hahaha. I admit, it was true to some travel girl, i know because my brother dates one, they were really happy with each other, and this nov they are getting married. DPC help them with canvasiing for their events, here’s a vblog about DPC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKxncpfZLQc

oh wait.. are you a travel girl? lol

95. says

finally, i got a chance to read this much celebrated blog post of yours. honestly, i had hesitations of reading it before, perhaps that’s one of the petty reasons why i didn’t read it immediately after that july-meet-up in singapore. i know i would be affected a bit because my wife isn’t much of a traveler herself but enjoy staying at home more. anyway, it’s so apparent that you wrote it with your heart! congratulations on this, aleah! bravo!!!

96. George says

I can attest to everything the article had to say. I met a girl who travels 6 years ago, and we just got married less then a month ago.

97. Pilgrim says

What an awesome article I have stumbled upon. This is fantastic and inspiring — unfortunately it feeds my fantasies. ;c)

I’d love to date and marry such a girl, but they’re not easy to find and I refuse to travel with that expectation. If it happens, it happens.

98. KL says

It’s the best thing I’ve read in a long time because I can almost relate to every sentence. It can only be written by someone who has truly had traveled a lot, especially by herself (well to me it remains the only way to travel!!)

Not sure every girl who travels would have the same qualities (I’ve met some really arrogant and stuck-up ones before), but still, a very nice article to raise our profile, haha!

Thanks so much for making my day!

99. says

Hello travel girl. Do you ever like traveling alone. I travel about 6 times per year and half the time is with my teenage daughter and the times were for myself.i have a Facebook account so you can see my trips with my daughter. We wold be going on cruises more often but her school has a problem with her grades dipping from an a+ to all A s. I want to hear about all your travels and I would like to talk to you about your posting to find someone who shares your passion with traveling.. About me I am tall 6ft 3 310 lbs single dad,retired happily at age 34. I really need a travel date and hey if we find each other repulsive at least we part as good friends with great stories. I hope you like cruises, cancun, Jamaica, st Lucia, grand Turks, Bahamas, Nassau, paradise island. Please pardon my typing on this Ipad I have not found my reading glasses. Talk to you soon, Richard Buttsy

100. Ida says

Hi, well wrote !!!! You know what, even in Taiwan lot of people like this article, and translate to Chinese.
    of course I like your blog too, very nice one. And I like your story about travel. Keep going ahead. And all lucky around you always !!

101. says

lt didn’t take me long to start smiling after I began reading this post, Aleah… and then I kept smiling all the way through!

Really inspired writing!

All I can say, then, is that if the dates and subsequent marriage offers are not fiercely rolling in by now, there’s something wrong with the men of your generation!!!

All the best…
    Andrew Graeme Gould recently posted..Sunday afternoon in Santiago

102. says

well well well this has been themost classy post ive ever read related to travel stories.. btw i met a girl while i was traveling in middle east and i guess its just the one girl i wanted to meet :)

103. says

But in reality, it’s difficult to date a girl who travel, because time becomes in issue. And to date someone you need time, as you can’t hurry love, time to meet her, time to know her, time to be together and so on. My experience of traveling has taught me that i will end up having a lot of friends, but no serious dater.

104. Edwina says

Love this article! Women who travel see and experience so much and can appreciate the beauty of life. S/n Are you in Brugges in the first pic?

105. says

Love this posting! Leaving the country is awesome but having something to come home to is even better! S/n are you in Brugges in the first pic?

106. says

Hi, Aleah!

Somebody shared this entry on my News Feed, and I’m glad he did! This is very inspiring and humbling. I wish to travel more, not to meet a date, but to know myself more and appreciate the beauty of the world despite the chaos I am in. Keep writing more inspiring posts!

Chai, CS Manila ;)
    Chai recently posted..Boracay: The First Encounter, Part 1

107. Lina Bo says

Such as a great article and I love it so much! I wish I have a passport that can travel everywhere as you so I could save money to everywhere!

108. says

Hello Lei I´m writing you from Costa Rica. I have to say that I absolutely loved your post. I´ve traveled quite a bit and never seem to have enough. I marry a guy who I thought I was boring to death while talking about my experiences and he seemed to fall for me because of that! (funny story). Anyway. I also have a blog and a very active twitter account and would LOVE to translate this and post it for everyone to read it in spanish. Please tell me if you feel comfortable with this. I´d only do it if you allow me to, specially after seing that that the blog where I originaly found this post wasn´t yours!
    Regards from sunny Costa Rica
    María Elena recently posted..No le gusta la papaya

109. says

I have just been compared to this. I’m a bit of a wanderer myself, and found it to be quite a compliment. So thank you for your post, although there are a few differences, you really get it. And it’s true what you say. Takes one to know one. But not sure until the people are in our shoes, if they will get it, unless very close to us.
    Hope to bump into you in one of these travels and our small yet big pearl of a world. X

110. Audrey says

Yes date a girl who travels… and respect her choice !! My ex made me feel guilty a lot of time. He never wanted to come with me, but also was so jealous that he said everything to make me feel guilty. And as i really loved him, first, i tried to stay. But, sorry, it was stronger than me, i love travel, and if you try to take me that off, i die !! Because of him i fell in a big depression. Love is stupid sometimes. And now i am single again, i can breathe, i can live again :)
    Thanks for what you wrote, it is so true and so beautiful !!!

111. says

One of the best posts I’ve read in a long time and I can totally relate to it !! I love to travel and your post hits all the right spots. Obviously this is applicable to both men and women .. so yes, it’s good to date a man or woman who travels :)
    Dazediva recently posted..L for Lube

112. Carina says

Aaaww, I really like this text :) I feel that I am the girl that travels and I kinda wanted to send this to a certain someone now.. To maybe make him open his eyes.. :)

113. Jeremy Goldstein says

Someone just forwarded this to me. I have no idea who you are but I loved this. The only problem with trying to date a girl who travels is that they never stick around in one place long enough!

114. Xia Vue says

I love your article. Too many guys are intimidated by us. Keep traveling, see you at the final destination.

115. H.K.Bansal says

In our life ,always we are not looking for life partner ,we want true friends with her we can spend the the best time ,but the problems are people want to see every thing in wrong direction ,they they do not bother to see what type relations they have.

116. says

as a girl who travels, i was completely identified with it! loved the post!! currently starting a travel blog as well, if you want to check it out maricruzyglesias.blogspot.com

117. says

Absolutely. Great article. Yes, us travelin’ mommas are a real catch. Low maintenance, independent, fun, easily amused – most fellas can’t handle it!

118. Lauren says

This article is ridiculous. Placing women into types is bullshit. I love to travel and love abroad so that means I can’t dress myself or buy nice things. I am both the URL who travels and carries around an expensive bag. Good to know that y’all think all girls who travel are ugly hot messes. I have met a lot of dumb girls traveling around Southeast Asia so I wouldn’t say all girls who travel are smart either. Over generalization in this piece of an article.

119. angie dey says

Wow! I don’t EVER comment on anything like this. But this piece of writing is… i’m speechless. Really. I wished I had wrote it, because it spoke my mind precisely, spoke my heart, and is written so beautifully. Then i read that i am not the only one who wished they wrote it :D So perfectly true and well said, every word of it.

120. Rachit Goyal says

Amazing amazing post. Inspires me to find just the right girl who travels.. Excellent choice of words, and beautifully framed.. And best of luck for all your journeys..

121. Asirys says

This is all nice in story, but trust me in reality it’s far from the truth. Maybe it’s nice and everything in the case when she’s already traveled a lot and is ready to stay with you and go on occasional trips that aren’t over 2-3 weeks, but spending over half a year traveling without you is a different story and I am definitely not going to marry a traveling girl that’s traveling all the time. The article says date her, love her and marry her. In reality, it’s impossible to do that if she is not beside you. Only then can you start dating her, loving her and everything else that comes with it. Once she’s gone you have nothing but a bad feeling that she’s not here and trust me when I say this, a long distance relationship NEVER works. Not if you know that once she is back from her travels, she will go traveling AGAIN at some time.
    By traveling, I don’t mean a ski weekend or something like that. I mean a 3+ month backpacking on the other side of the globe.
    Yes, it can work if you go with her (if you have the money and free time and no bonds with where you live to leave for that long) and it can work ONLY THEN, but you staying at home working while your loved one is gone for 3, 6 months, or even a year. I don’t think there’s anyone that can wait that long. Plus, even if you do wait, you have no guarantee that after 2 months, she won’t do the same thing and go traveling for half a year again.
    To conclude my post. I am 100% SURE that being with a traveling girl is impossible if she prioriteses traveling OVER you.

122. Yao says

Life is so easy and out of stress if you only choose to travel around the world learning about other people and land history.

123. Dan says

Very well put. Having found a wonderful traveler myself, I can attest to almost all of what you’ve captured.

Kudos, and keep writing and traveling! :)

124. says

I’ve gotta admit you hit the nail on the head! It seems like the more I travel and the more women I meet who travels, the more I fall in love with the journey.

The people I’ve met since traveling have changed me so much since I’ve started my journey and if/when I decide to settle down to get married it will be to a girl who has had her fair share of adventure and is willing to do some more.

Awesome post!
    Chris Hughes recently posted..Tell Me About Yourself!

125. Czarina Boy says

Yes, girls who travel and have seen the other side of the world are the appreciative ones, the jolly ones, the dependable ones and most of all they trustworthy ones :) Trust me, I am a traveler and I am single :)

126. Czarina Boy says

I totally agree! I am a traveler myself. I know the dangers at nights, the scammers at days and humble enough to admit, I have only seen 0.001% of the this big big world. But hey, once you travel, you will find out that the world is too big to explore and too small that there are people that connect between you and strangers :) This article is so inspiring, very well said. I admire you! :)

127. Brenda says

I just wanted to say thank you for this beautifully written text, it almost made me cry. It summarises exactly what I have tried to make a certain person understand for quite some time. I will send it to him in the hope that he will finally understand. Take care and keep up the great work, XX

128. says

amazing post!

Thank yoi so much for writing and sharing this with us, readers. Reading your entry, I just feel like I’m kinda that girl in the post lolz. Truly it inspires me to discover the rest of the world where I haven’t been to. Right now I’m preparing for my long journey to Europe this summer and your entry seems like to transfer more energy into me :)
    Thanks again and all the best to you :)
    Diep Angela NGUYEN recently posted..Duomo in Florence, Italy

129. Loraine says

This is a great post! :) I’m a girl who travels and I’m happy that I’ve been coming home to the same man for almost 6 years now. :) He accepts my passion for travel and have been trying to join me in most of my recent trips. :) Date a girl who travels because she can show you the world as she sees it. :)

130. Sampada says

Great article! You spoke my mind! And I would like to add one more thing. The girl who travels also knows AND carries almost all the basic medicines in the world! ;) Right?

131. Daphne says

Hey! Loved your post!
    I am a girl who travels and I’m in Namibia at the moment (I’m from Brazil originally)! I would love to meet you some day, so we could share stories!
    Wish you all the luck and all the love in the world!!
    Beijos!

132. Pola Díaz says

I loved your post..
    I felt so identify with it…
    I think only people who loev to travel can understand the feeling…
    I shared on my facebook.. I just loved, really.. Thank you for the post!

133. Alice says

Such a beautiful post! Somebody translated to portuguese, thats how I’ve found it, but I think its beautiful either way! Congrats! Xx

134. says

Firstly WOW! Wish I had some spare cash to donate right now but got to work on saving so I can have as many beautiful things to write about as you. I think as a long term single woman who travels, it can make the highs so much higher and the lows a little lower in travel but whether on the road or at home I will always be a traveler. It will always be a big part of who I am and I think what you have written will always be true. Thanks for making me feel so great and like the catch I know women who travel are :) Big love.

135. Costis Ni says

I am under the impression that girls who travel are very charming. and, have always a lot of offers for companionship, dating and everything.

Am i wrong?

136. David Aaron Hahn says

A friend brought this to my attention, a day after I returned from 10 days in Europe with three female colleagues.

Totally on point.

Well done!

137. Alex says

First of all, who goes to Thailand for the weekend? There’s a million assumptions in this article and it looks like all of your fans are just hoping on the train of “I can travel and have a boyfriend too”. Not sure what your target audience is but I can say that anyone in their late twenties, early thirties would find having a spouse who travels all the time to be less than ideal. Everything I’ve read has led me to believe that if a girl loves to travel and is willing to leave her spouse behind, it’s because traveling is a higher priority than the spouse. That means you better find a spouse who is willing to leave you for two months at a time so you can go find buried treasure on a random island. Anyways, your disclaimer should read BOYFRIEND BE PREPARED. And please point me to the comments of successful relationships where one spouse leaves for two months at a time.

138. Fern says

Aleah, this is really awesome!

I laugh out loud when I read your blog because it is so ME! That’s what I wanted a man know too who would want to date me. Naks!

I’m currently on the verge of creating my own travel blog. Would it be ok to share this on my facebook instead? Asking for your permission.

God’s Blessings! and Keep your feet everywhere!

~Fern~

139. jay says

very nice post. I want to marry a traveler? Anyone Single Ladies out there…LOL..I really love traveling, and seen new places.

Lets link up!

140. ivy says

perfectly written!

I remember when I flew out to Bangkok to commence my solo backpacking trip in South East Asia, I had a small led flash light attached to my backpack zipper. When I landed in the airport, it was no longer there. I noticed it right away as soon as I saw my bag in the carousel.

Now that I have set my anchor for a little while, I am missing the traveler lifestyle.

141. liezel magno castro says

i read this same article from philippine airline’s inflight magazine, MABUHAY, august 2012. a very good read. may every ‘juan’ can travel :)it’s a very enriching experience.

142. says

I love it, Aleah. But admit it, its promoting women’s independence and wit. A girl who travels have the guts and wits to travel empty handed but makes her way to make dreams come true, may it be hers or others that touches her heart. :)
    Lyndsay recently posted..Tenerife’s Top Water Park

143. says

I completely agree with this, my ex travelled extensively, which made me travel and it was amazing! 22 countries in 12 months, and even ended up living in the centre of Paris and Corsica for 6 months! I love this blog and your journey and have sent a link to my ex (she’s travelling alone in Bali atm!)

144. C. Garofani says

My fiancé sent me this. I asked him “is that me?” and he said “yes, but you’re also so much more.”
    I am a girl who travels, and I found someone who is my anchor and whom I call home – and he’s… a boy who travels, too.

Thank you for this!

145. Jon says

It is sad to read this article and see how many “like-minded women” support a point of view like this. In this article I just see pure pursuit of selfishness and ego. There is nothing about loving or sharing, helping others or doing something good for the world. It is all about YOU, the “traveling girl.” The truth is, lot of women who enjoy traveling don’t fall into this selfish category. Selfishness does not equal traveling. Please make that clear.

146. Disagree says

Apparently I’m one of the few who completely disagree with this post. I think it’s great that you travel, and you should do whatever makes you happy.

However, the mindset of a girl who travels the world at a young age is typically not looking for a long-term thing. So perhaps you were right when you said ‘date’ a girl who travels, because more than likely it will be a short fling, and then she will move on to the next place and guy.

Traveling is amazing, don’t get me wrong. But the kind of people I’ve met who travel the world really have been kind of free spirits, and not looking to get too serious since they know they will off on a whim. It can be intoxicating to date someone like that. Exciting, passionate, and never know what’s going to happen next. But you eventually know what will happen next…they travel, and move on.

So congrats to you for following your dreams, and I’m sure you get an incredible amount of dates, but not much more than beyond a passionate fling.

147. Diane boisvert says

Omg. So good piece and so right. This is the exact description of my daughter. I call her my guru. She knows so much more than me. Very accurate. Thank u.

148. Milly says

Hum, It’s a cute tittle, I thought I would like it but, thought I recon it’s very well written, I would have to disagree with at least the begging.

I’m a girl who travels, it doesn’t stop me from loving shoes and clothes and from caring something else than a bag pack, and that doesn’t keep me from being an open minded traveler. Plus, my hand bag is big enough for me to carry all the things you’ve mentioned and that include that forehead flash light that’s been there for 3 years. It’s just all a matter of dress code, when I’m backpacking, of course I wear trekking clothes and walking shoes but if I’m on a tour of a European capital I can dress just like I would back home and nothing stops me from wearing a little make up. You can be feminine and be a traveler. Making us all sound like hippies is not helping.

For the rest, it’s all very idealistic (cheap tickets to Thailand?! Depends where you’re from). I dated guys who didn’t like to travel and who didn’t care less about all that you mention. So I would say date a girl who travels if you love to travel too, otherwise, just walk on.

149. Milly says

Ha! and one more thing, I’ve met girl who travel A LOT. and who couldn’t care less about the place they are in, the local culture and who just repeat all day long that everything is stupid and that is their home country everything is so much better. Some people travel but don’t see!

150. Mircea says

As a Tourism honours degree student I have to admit that stepping up with such an article is just what the travel world needs as a response to the post-modern trends that may actually suffocate authentic tourism. I honestly wish I would have had the courage to travel to so many places with no prejudicious assumption about how the experience might be. Who knows, maybe that’s your actual secret. RESPECT !!!

151. Faith says

OMG! You’re on point! I had to share! Some men are insecure thinking we’re too much when in reality we’re so simple. We just need honesty no matter what the story is so that we are aware & can come up with common solution. That mainly comes from exposures we acquired through our travels! Very well written!

152. Kerry says

Hi! :) I read this article a couple of years ago. I never left a comment here, but it resonated with me. I had kept it and had read it a few more times when I remembered it. I had nearly forgotten about it, until today when I read a HuffPost article titled, “Don’t Date a Girl Who Travels”. I thought it was the same article as it longed to send the same sentiment that, in my opinion, you more effectively shared. So, I found this again. Forgive me for saying, but the other didn’t share with me the same feeling of perpetual wonder that your words did. Thank you for writing this. Have fun wherever you are! :)

153. Mark Sperry says

Yeah, no man will care for you if you are not faithfully by his side.

Play hard to get and no one will chase you.

Number of meaningful OKCupid second dates: Zero.

Men are not excited about this.

154. Mark Sperry says

Oh and you’re getting old. No one will care about your Instagram pictures in front of old buildings as your body becomes less attractive. Also by then, you will have no wife skills to keep a man because you were fulfilling self-centered desires.

155. saintsamaritan says

I don’t get it. I’d like to date such a girl but this article is only about her. The title sounds like one can actually find a girl on a dating site with this theme. Gave me false hope.

156. LL says

Wow! Bulls’eye! lol
    Very insightful and this is quite a nice article. Thanks for writing in our behalf… Sharing…

Trackbacks

1. [...] someone like me, who knows how easy and affordable it is to live abroad. And maybe I’ll even meet that special girl on the road. I know that I should work smarter, not harder in my quest for success, whatever that word means to [...]

2. [...] Date a Girl Who Travels:  This is another interesting read that a co-worker sent to me.  We are both travelers and enjoy the adventure of sightseeing in a foreign country, eating indiscernible cuisine, and learning about different cultures.  This article explains why women who travel make much better girlfriends than non-travelers.  Clearly, I am biased. [...]

3. [...] night. The good is that I felt a great connection with this girl. Generally, I prefer to date girls who like to travel because they are resourceful and optimistic. They also value experiences over material items. These are all respectable and sexy [...]

4. [...] og kanskje også alene. Les: Why Every Women Should Travel Alone (At Least Once In Her Life) og Date A Girl Who Travels.  Definitivt noe å tenke over når man har reising som interesse og/eller livsstil, og er på jakt [...]

5. […] My friend Xocitl and I met in India. We went white water rafting down the Ganges, studied Palmistry together, and shared many a meal. She is a goddess. Yesterday she shared this blog entry with me about ‘loving a traveling woman’, and it brought me to tears. Traveling is my passion, but I also attribute this passion to being single. Shawn had straight up said to me before we were over that he’d already seen Asia, and didn’t want to travel, but wanted a family. I have been told by another that I’m not domesticated and he couldn’t date me because he wasn’t sure when I’d just up and leave. This blog really empowered by hurt ego when it comes to being single, so thanks to Aleah Taboclaon for sharing… By Aleah Taboclaon “Date a girl who travels. Date a girl who would rather save up for out of town trips or day trips than buy new shoes or clothes. She may not look like a fashion plate, but behind that tanned and freckled face from all the days out in the sun, lies a mind than can take you places and an open heart that will take your for what you are, not for what you can be Date a girl who travels. You’ll recognize her by the backpack she always carries. She won’t be carrying a dainty handbad, where will she put her travel journal, her pens and the LED flashlight that’s always attached to her bag’s zipper? In a small purse, how can she bring the small coil of travel string, the wet tissues, the box of cracker, and the bottle of water she’s always ready with, just in case something happens and she can’t go home yet. Yes, a girl who travels knows that anytime, anything can happen and she just has to be prepared with it. Nothing takes her by surprise, she takes everything with equanimity, knowing that such things are always a part of life. She’s reliable and dependable, traits that she’s learned while on the road. You’ll also recognize a girl who travels by the fact that she’s always amazed at the world around her, no matter if she’s in her hometown or in a place that’s totally new. She sees beauty all around her, not just the ones featured in travel guides or shown in postcards. A girl who travels has developed a deeper appreciation for life. She won’t judge you, or pressure you to do things you don’t want to do. She knows too much about the importance of identity and self-efficacy, and she will appreciate all the more if you won’t pretend to be who you’re not. You can make mistakes with a girl who travels, and you can also be as idiosyncratic as you can be. Trust me, she has seen so much worse in her travels, and knows firsthand the vagaries of human nature. Date a girl who travels, because when you’re with her, you’ll realize that even though she’s napped at a temple in Angkor Wat, went boating down the Mekong Delta, ran by the streets of Saigon, or went skinny-dipping in the caves in the Philippines, she still retains that humility that is the mark of a real traveler. She knows she’s been to a lot of places, but she’s humbled by the fact that the world is still a big places and she’s only seen a small part of it. Seeing this in her can make you feel all right with yourself too; there’s no need for you to do more, to be more. What you are is enough. When you meet a girl who travels, ask her where she’s been and what she’s going to do next. She will appreciate your interest, and if you’re lucky, she may even invite you to join her. When she does, do. Nothing bonds people better than traveling. On your trip, you will both see each other’s best and worst characteristics, and you can then decide whether she’s worth fighting for. It’s easy enough to date a girl who travels. She won’t want expensive gifts, you can buy her (or both of you) cheap ticket to Thailand for the weekend, and she’ll be more than happy to take you to the longest wooden bridge in the country. You don’t even have to go overseas, you can take her out on day trips, caving or hiking, or treat her to a full body massage. You can also buy her the little things that she keeps forgetting to buy for herself; that carbine that will attach her backpack to her seat so that she will feel easier about sleeping on her bus trip, or a backpack cover, a small alarm clock, a money belt, or many another sarong that will replace the one she lost in China. She won’t mind if you get lost on your way to a date. She knows that often times, the journey is more important than the destination. She will help you see the lighter side of things. She’ll walk along with you, not behind you, pointing out the interesting bits of things you’ll see on the way. Before long, you’ll realize that yes, the journey has been more memorable than the destination that you’ve planned to take her to. Is a girl who travels worth it? Yes, she is. So when you find her, keep her. Don’t lose her with your insecurities and doubts. Because when she says she loves you, she really does. After all, she’s seen so many things, met so many people, and if she has chosen you, better grab that opportunity and thank the gods that you were lucky enough she’s chosen you and not that bloke she met while watching the sunrise in Angkor Wat, or while whitewater rafting in the Padas Gorge in Sabah. If she says she loves you, she must have seen something in you, something that can always call her back from her travels, something that can anchor her to the world in the way that she wants to after weeks and months of being on the road. Date a girl who travels. Make her feel safe, warm and secure. Make her believe that no matter where she goes, and however long she’s gone, you’ll always be there for her, the one that she can call home. Find a girl who travels. Date her, love her. and marry her, and your world will never be the same again.”   (Blog Solitary Wanderer – http://www.solitarywanderer.com/2012/02/date-a-girl-who-travels/#axzz2GhJXuvOC) […]